Monday, December 17, 2007

There is nothing more frustrating than playing hide and seek with a deaf wolf.

The first finished object requires back story. As a lot of you know, I have a small obsession with the actor Paul Gross, of Due South and Slings and Arrows. This is largely due to a couple of friends of mine, whose obsession is much more long standing and who are wonderful enablers on this subject. A couple of years back, one of those friends mentioned that she had been watching too many Due South reruns, and that all she wanted for Christmas was a Canadian mountie. How could I not oblige?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The mountie (pattern from World of Knitted Toys) was a hit. Since then, I joined the recipient in her obsession, and I knew that the mountie needed a companion. In Due South, Constable Benton Fraser has a white wolf named Diefenbaker. So guess what her Christmas gift was this year?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pattern: Wolf, adapted from the Siberian Husky pattern in World of Knitted Toys
Yarn: Red Heart Classic in white and dark brown, Lion Brand Wool Ease in light pink heather

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The recipient sent me a photo of the two together last night, just as they were meant to be:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Before I finished Dief, I did a trial run of the pattern which didn't go quite so well. If you saw this, what would you think it was?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yes, it looks like a rat. A cute rat, but a rat nonetheless. Moving the ear position makes a huge difference with this pattern. I ended up including this guy with the teddy bears that I sent to Vietnam, since I figured a kid would like it.

One more finished object to show you. This one is my mom's Hanukkah gift, an Odessa.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pattern: Odessa, from Magknits
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft DK in taupe on size 4 & 6 needles.

Secret holiday knitting is over, hallelujah!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, wow. I'm a huge Due SOuth fan and a knitter myself and I thinkt hat this may be one of the coolest projects I've ever seen!

Unknown said...

You are best. (and as for shared mind re: quotes, but of course! it is the perfect one, and that was on my mind when choosing yesterday.)

Anonymous said...

KNITTED DIEF!!

monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

Ooh, I love "World of Knitted Toys"! The mountie is amazing!