Friday, May 16, 2008

It's called the TARDIS, this thing. T-A-R-D-I-S. That's Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

I finished this a few weeks ago, but it finally arrived at its intended destination (it may have had a little diversion in time and space) so it can be shown! A friend of mine who lives rather far away had a birthday recently and, as we're both Doctor Who fans, I felt the need to make him a TARDIS, the time machine in which the Doctor travels that is disguised as a 1950s British police call box.

Photobucket

Pattern: the TARDIS stuffed plush by Penwiper (pattern is currently offline due to a copyright dispute with the BBC)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun in Blue (1 skein), Paton's Classic Merino in That's Blue (2 skeins), and some Valley Yarns Northampton in Navy and Red Heart Classic in white, on size 6 needles
Comments: It came out much larger than expected--about 15 inches tall. But then the TARDIS is supposed to be bigger on the inside, isn't it? :) And it ate a lot of polyfill for the stuffing. Two-color knitting and I also had a bit of a dispute, so I ended up cutting out felt squares for the dark panels and sewing them to the sides. But I am very happy with how it came out.

From the other side:

Photobucket

From the top:

Photobucket

And the pieces of the TARDIS blocking before being sewn together:

Photobucket

Now, if only it were a real TARDIS and would take us anywhere in time and space that we wanted to go--would make visiting far away friends a whole lot easier!

6 comments:

glitterboy1 said...

Eeee! I'm very happy with how it came out, too! :-)

Thank you!!!!!!

LizzieK8 said...

Tee Hee great title! Precisely!!!!

Looks great!

Did you see the article about the British fan that had to take all her Dr. Who patterns off her blog or be sued by BBC?

Unknown said...

I don't know from Dr. Who. But I think a knitted phone booth is adorable!

alison said...

It came out soooo great! Maybe even better than my other fave of yours, the mounty! You've outdone yourself on this one.

Carol said...

Very cool!!

Anonymous said...

Nice article as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is some photos of some gadgets.
David Stepman
Phone Blocker